Wednesday, January 14, 2015

An Encouraging Exhortation for Pastors from Pastor Chuck

Having been a pastor now for 20 years I know what it is to question myself at times, as to whether or not I am doing everything I should be doing. Am I doing enough?  Or to ask myself, am I doing it right? Its always a blessing to have a reminder that reaffirms your calling and your job description. Recently I have been teaching through the book of Acts in our fellowship,  and I listened to one of Pastor Chucks sermons on Acts 20 and I found it to be a tremendous blessing. I was reminded what my role is in the body of Christ and what I am to be doing within that role.  Below is an excerpt from his message. I hope your encouraged.~PJ

Now take heed therefore unto yourselves, and unto the flock, over which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, that you feed the church of God, which he has purchased with his own blood (Act 20:28).
And this is the charge and the responsibility that God has placed upon the ministers: to feed the flock of God. But it is so difficult to find pastors today who will really feed the flock of God. We get letters by the hundreds. People are hungry to be fed the Word of God. And so Paul said to these overseers of the church of Ephesus, "Feed the flock of God." Peter in writing his epistle said, "Feed the flock of God which is among you." Jesus said to Peter, "Feed My sheep." I don't know why pastors don't realize that this is the most important function of a pastor is to feed the flock of God. We have those who are seeking to entertain the flock of God. And then God help us, unfortunately we have those who are seeking to fleece the flock of God. But how few are really feeding the flock of God.The reason why you feed them is in that they might become strong. Because wolves are going to come in. Paul shared his concerns, "after I depart grievous wolves are going to enter in among you, not sparing the flock (Act 20:29)."
Men who would try to draw groups after themselves. There's always that. God establishes a work, and then there are always those who try and come in. Even out of your own midst, there will come those who will try to break off a group, to bring them as after themselves. Sad and tragic. Paul when he was writing to the Ephesians said that God has placed in the church, apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastor-teachers, for the perfecting of the saints for the work of the ministry. That's what we're here for. That you might be fed the Word of God, that you might be perfected for the work of the ministry. The building up of the body of Christ. Until we all come into the unity of the faith of the knowledge of the Son of God. Into that complete person. Unto the measure of the stature of the fullness of the image of Christ. That you be no more as babes who are tossed to and fro with every wind of doctrine and slight cunning of men who lie in wait to deceive. ~ Pastor Chuck on Acts 20:28