Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Throwing Stones

He who is without sin among you, let him cast the first stone at her….John 8:7
Of all the things that I am most thankful for in my life, Salvation is at the top of the list. If it weren't for Jesus and His finished work on the cross I would be eternally lost. His blood was shed and I am cleansed. The chains of sin have been broken and I am free. When Jesus saved me, all of my past mistakes were forgiven. All the things that I had done were as if they had never happened. Yes I lived with some of the consequences and the memories of my sin, but Jesus had forgiven me and never brought it up again. 
The religious leaders of Jesus day were extremely proud of their outward righteousness. They prided themselves on the things that they did and did not do. However Jesus pointed out that their righteousness was only an outward show. They had forgotten the weightier  matters of the law, such as mercy, and grace. At one point the religious leaders brought a women caught in the very act of adultery and laid her at Jesus feet condemned. They were prepared to put her to death on the spot. At that moment Jesus began to write in the dirt. The bible does not say what He wrote, but when He had finished He looked up and said, "he who is without sin let him cast the first stone…" some suggest He was saying, "he who is without the same sin.." 
It is unfortunate today even in the church how quick we are to forget what we were saved from when we look at others who are still lost. Or when we look at those who have also come to Christ, but we still judge them based upon what they used to be rather then who they are. 
As a minister I have learned that when people come and tell me of their struggles, or the way that they have fallen, that I am very careful how I minister to them. For one thing I know in many cased that I have been where they have been. And for another thing, I know that if it wasn't for Jesus I would still be there. 
The only person who could have condemned the women brought to the feet of Jesus that day was Jesus, and He forgave her. What about us? How do we judge others… Do you judge them based on who they were before, or who they are now? In the book of James 2:13 it says, "For judgement is without mercy to the one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment."