Saturday, January 4, 2014

An Unexpected Way to Bring in the New Year

For most of us, we enter into a New Year with an expectation. We are hopeful of what the coming year will bring. We want to start off on the right foot. We want to start out of the blocks running in strength. That is how I wanted to start out. Yet the Lord apparently had other plans. 
First of all I developed a strange infection underneath my jaw line. There was a spot near the lymph nodes that began to swell. So I went to the doctor and had to have it looked at and have a minor procedure done to remove it. Thankfully it turned out to be a bacterial infection, for which I am taking antibiotics and healing. However it did leave a nice hole in the side of my face that is beginning to mend. On the same day I went into the see the doctor, I strained my back. I could not twist to the right or left without feeling sharp pain. Happy New Year indeed.  I went into the New Year thinking, "Okay Lord I am not certain what all of this is about, but I know I need You, that's for sure." 
My family and I were able to go out of town for a few days. During this time I was able to begin the healing process and seek the Lord in prayer. The Lord is so faithful to speak to us when we seek Him. I began reading through 1 Samuel looking at the story of Hannah. Twice it is recorded that, "the LORD closed Hannah's womb." For a season, God did not allow Hannah to have a child. During this time in her life she was broken. Others who knew her best could not understand what the Lord was taking her through. Yet in the midst of her personal disappointment Hannah turned to God. The Lord answered Hannah's prayer and gave her a son whose name was Samuel. As I thought about the story of Hannah, I realized we don't always know why God allows certain things to take place in our lives. We don't always have answers to life's questions. It's important that like Hannah, we turn to the Lord. That we go into the House of the Lord and pour out our heart before the God who loves us. Sit at His feet and worship Him for who He is, and what He has done. I am not certain of what this year will bring, but I am certain that I am not alone. You can have that same assurance.