Friday, December 20, 2013

Price Has Been Paid

Galatians 2:20 “I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me. 

What did Paul mean when he said that he had been crucified with Christ? Paul had not literally been crucified with JESUS at Calvary? 
Think of it in these terms:  If a man is convicted of a capital crime, he is then put to death for his crime. Because he is dead, the law has no more claim on him for he has paid his debt to society.
Therefore, even if that same man were to rise from the dead, he would still be guiltless before the law, which would have no claim on his new life. He already paid his debt through his death, there is no more penalty to be paid.

In the same way, as I placed my faith in Jesus, repenting of my sin and trusting in Him for salvation…. I believe that HE took my place and paid the penalty that my sinned demanded. Therefore in a spiritual sense I have died with him because He was dying for ME. The believer who dies in Christ, is then raised in newness of life. The law that formerly condemned me no longer has a claim on me, for the demands of the law have been paid. 
Now that my debt has been paid the life that I live I live continually trusting in Jesus. The work is finished…. Freedom!!!!!

JI Packer: This verse brings together both aspects of the Christian’s identification with Christ; acceptance of Christ’s cross as both the end of the old life, and the pattern of the new one

John Gregory Mantle  There is a great difference between realizing, On that Cross He was crucified for me,’ and ‘On that Cross I am crucified with Him.’ The one aspect brings us deliverance from sin’s condemnation, the other from sin’s power.