Monday, June 10, 2013

Does it Please the King?

Nehemiah 2:5 and I said to the king, "if it pleases the king, and if your servant has found favor in your sight, I ask that you send me to Judah, the the city of my fathers' tombs, that I may rebuild it."  

Nehemiah had received word that the walls that surrounded the city of Jerusalem had been burned with fire, the people were unprotected. They had become a reproach amidst their enemies. The news of their distress moved Nehemiah's heart to pray. In his times of prayer he developed a burden to do something. Nehemiah became so moved by the need that his countenance reflected his deep concern. Then one day the king to whom Nehemiah served as cupbearer took notice of his state. The king could tell that Nehemiah was filled with sorrow in his heart. When he asked Nehemiah what was the cause, Nehemiah shared his heart and his vision. Then Nehemiah made a bold request if he could be sent to rebuild.
Yet I take note of how he asked. He said, "IF IT PLEASES THE KING". Although Nehemiah had a burden to go, he had a desire to rebuild the walls, he was submitted to the kings approval. 
In my own life, I want this to be the underlying foundation of how I live. I want this to be the question that I present to my KING concerning the direction I take. Does this please the King? Is this something that my King wants me to be apart of? I want to please my King and thus I am submitted to my King. There are things that might please me, but do they please Jesus.
Perhaps you have some questions about things within your own life. Ask the Lord Jesus, "is this pleasing in your sight?" This maybe something I want, but Lord is this something You want for me?" And whatever He tells me to do, that is what I will do.