Thursday, March 28, 2013

The Wonderful Cross

I was reading through a book by Martyn Lloyd-Jones this week entitled, "The Cross". In it Jones made a comment that grabbed hold of my heart, he said "however many times a man may preach about the cross, he has never finished preaching about it. There is always something fresh to say, always something new." The wonder of the cross is inexhaustible. I suppose it will take all of eternity to fathom the depths of it. Yet as we come to another year commemorating the week of the Passion of Christ I long to have an even greater understanding of what Jesus has done for me. It appears that the Apostle Paul also shared that desire when he said, "I want to know the fellowship of His sufferings being conformed to His death." In another place Paul said, "he was carrying about the dying of the Lord Jesus." Paul knew Jesus in a way that most of us have never experienced. 
This year as we examine the finished work of Jesus on the cross, may we have a greater appreciation for our Lords physical suffering. Have a deeper understanding of the theological implications. Recognizing like never before the eternal benefits of the Lamb that was slain. And may all of this cause us to live a life that is worthy of the gospel. 

The great missionary C.T. Studd said, "If Jesus Christ be God and gave Himself for me, than no sacrifice can be too great for me to make for Him."