Wednesday, August 22, 2012

A Blessed Delay

I was almost completely asleep. I had already been traveling for 12 hours from Tel Aviv to Philadelphia. We made our connecting flight and were about to take off when suddenly I felt a strong jolt that awakened me. It felt like we ran over something. It turned out someone outside the plane did something wrong which caused damaged to the plane. We ended up sitting for an hour. This meant that  our arrival to Phoenix airport would be over an hour late. It now seemed almost impossible for us to make our connection. Needless to say I was a little bummed and ready to get home. Yet in those situations there is nothing you can do. Complaining never helps, it only makes things worse. finally we were airborne. 
Our plane was now scheduled to land at about 10:05am our next plane to Orange County left at 10:15am. Fortunately on our flight we had WiFi. I was able to talk to my wife and tell her about my dilemma. She informed me that our son, who was on his way to Bible College was transferring from Phoenix also. I looked at a map of the airport from the plane and it turned out that his gate was only two down from where we were landing. There was a chance I would be able to see him one last time before he left. being that I was in Israel I wasn't there for his last day. Suddenly I didn't care as much if I missed my connecting flight, I would get to say goodbye to my son who won't be back till December. 
As the plane landed everyone was pushing and shoving to get off the aircraft. Right when I came off the plane there was my son to greet me. We ran to his gate said goodbye and then I sprinted to my gate which was on the complete other side of the airport. My lungs were hurting, my calves were in pain, because of all the walking in Jerusalem in flip flops the day before. I was sweating. I turned the final corner and I heard over the loud speaker the last call for the Orange County flight. My friend Mike and I were the last ones on the plane, we made it. 
Sometimes delays can be a blessing.... you never know what Gods plan is. I am thankful for that bump in the road that allowed me to see my son. Unexpected blessing..