Saturday, January 7, 2012

A Powerful Reminder

Yesterday served as another reminder of how short life is. I presided over a memorial service in Santa Ana for a man named Victor Vaca. A hardworking, loving father and grandfather. He was a veteran from World War 2. A hero to his 9 children and 24 grandchildren. At the funeral they shared their memories of the blessing that Victor was to all of them. Following the memorial service I quickly made my way to another memorial service for Pastor Bob Hoekstra held at Calvary Chapel Costa Mesa.

Pastor Bobs memorial service made such a profound impact upon me and everyone in attendance. I have known Bob for many years, and I have always admired his ministry. However yesterday I got to see the full composite of the man, as testimony after testimony was given by friends and family. What a godly man. I miss him. The things that his friends and children said about him made me hope that I could be a fraction of the godly man that Bob was. To be able to leave such a powerful legacy of Jesus is more precious than anything else in this world. Pastor Bob suffered so much pain over the last 2 years. Yet even in his suffering he was teaching and demonstrating to us how to trust Jesus until the end. He revealed in his life how to glorify God in the midst of suffering. His children, who were at his bed side, mentioned how they heard their father say what Job said when he was suffering, " though he slay me yet I will trust him." They shared how that even up to his final moments he was still preaching the gospel to doctors and nurses. They said how he never complained even when bearing such agony and pain in his body. How that Bob was asking them how he could pray for them. He told his children to keep loving and serving Jesus. After being at Pastor Bobs memorial I was undone. Completely humbled and touched by a man that lived for Jesus with everything that was in him. I am forever indebted to Pastor Bob for his example. I shared with Bobs wife Dini of my love and admiration for her and Bob. While I spoke to her she was ministering to me. I was overwhelmed by her testimony. One of the verses that characterised  Bob's life was Colossians 1:27-29 To them God willed to make known what are the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles: which is Christ in you, the hope of glory. Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus. To this end I also labor, striving according to His working which works in me mightily."  

Following the service I made my way up the mountains of San Bernardino to Twin Peaks.

At the conference center in Twin Peaks were a multitude of young people there to seek the Lord at a college retreat. The theme of the retreat was "MY HOUSE SHALL BE CALLED A HOUSE OF PRAYER" taken from the scripture in Isaiah. The retreat began last night and will end on Sunday morning.  I had the chance to share on the prayer of the Apostle Paul from Ephesians 3. A prayer of enablement. We then concluded with a powerfully annointed time of worship led by one of my best friends Scott Cunningham and his daughter Madison. It was somewhat surreal for Scott and I to be there at Twin Peaks. We were discussing how we had been going up to Twin Peaks together since we were in elementary school and in Jr. High. Also we reflected on how that Twin Peaks was where Scott met his wife Meagan at Bible College there. It was such a joy to talk about Jesus with those young people. I pray that the seeds that were planted would bear much fruit in the days and years to come.