Monday, October 31, 2011

Worship is a Way of Life

Romans 12:1 I beseech you therefore brethren by the mercies of God that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable which is your reasonable service.

Worship is more than raising ones hands and the lifting of ones voice, worship is a way of life. Paul encourages the believers to present themselves to the Lord as a living sacrifice.
 A living sacrifice begins with a full commitment to God in response to all that God has done for me. This act of offering myself to God is one of worship.  The Word present means to offer, to put at ones disposal, or to yield to. As a living sacrifice all that I am belongs to the Lord. The Greeks felt that the body was inherently evil. It was only the Spirit and soul that was good. So because the body was worthless, in their estimation, it did not matter what you did with your body. Thus every kind of immoral practice was accepted and practiced with the body. But Paul is writing these Christians in Rome who would be exposed to these false notions and ideologies and declared that they were to offer their bodies to God. 
  In Leviticus when a sacrifice was to be offered up it was to be laid on the altar and was to be put to death and to be burned and completely consumed. But we are to be living sacrifices offered up to the Lord. I am to offer to God all my hopes my plans; everything that is precious to me, all belongs to my Lord. Father everything that makes up John Randall’s life is yours. It is at your disposal. This is my total commitment to you. Consume me Lord. I am a living sacrifice offered up to. 
The difference is that in the Old Testament was when the sacrifice was offered up it died. When a Christian offers himself to the Lord the old person dies, but that is also when he begins to live.

 David Livingston missionary to Africa:“ People talk of the sacrifice I have made in spending so much of my life in Africa. But can that be called a sacrifice which is simply paid back as a small part of the great debt of owing to our God, which we can never repay?Away with such a word, such a view, and such a thought! It is emphatically no sacrifice. Say rather it is a privilege. I never made a sacrifice. Of this we ought not to talk of when we remember the great sacrifice which He made who left His fathers throne on high to give himself for us.”

A Female missionary wrote the following "Covenant of Dedication" 
Lord Jesus I belong to thee from head to foot, and will always be Thine, for thou hast redeemed me. Thou art King of my life and hast absolute and undivided rule over all my affections and will and desire. My chief aim in life shall be to please thee. So do thou change me cleanse me and use me as thou wilt. I ask thee to help me loyally to keep this covenant, for I am willing to lay down my life for thy sake, if thou shouldst ask me."