Sunday, October 30, 2011

Faith That Works

FAITH THAT WORKS: 
On Sunday mornings we are going through the book of James.Todays Service was from James 2:14-26. James points out what real saving faith looks like. James exhorts his readers to a have a faith that is alive and active. He was calling believers out, to live out what they say they believe. One of the ways that our faith is demonstrated to this world is by the life that we live. We can share with people that we are Christians but if what we say is not backed by how we live then there is something wrong. One of the things that James shares in the remainder of the second chapter is that .....
“It is possible to SAY you have a saving faith and not truly be saved….” Just because a person SAYS they are CHRISTIAN, DOES NOT MEAN THAT THEY ARE A CHRISTIAN. I COULD SAY I AM A BLACK BELT IN Karate and show you a belt I picked up at thrift store, but that doesn’t mean I am a black belt in Karate. (by the way I am not a black belt.) A Person can be raised in complete orthodoxy, have a knowledge intellectually of the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, but  a mental assent to Christian doctrine doesn’t save you. Jesus made this clear in Matthew when he said, 
Matthew 7:21 "Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 

As a Christian I don't serve God to earn salvation, I have salvation and I therefore am happy to serve God. 

"We are saved by grace through faith alone, but a faith that saves is Never alone." 
Good works will naturally follow saving faith. It is a byproduct of abiding in Jesus.