Friday, February 4, 2011

Not of this World

Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect. Romans 12:2

I read as well as teach from the New King James Version of the scriptures. At the same time I enjoy reading other translations to broaden my perspective. This morning the New Living Translation opened up a familiar passage. As you consider Romans 12 you can see there is an important aspect in discovering the will of God for ones life.

1. Don't copy the customs or behaviour of the world: you see, as believers we are in this world but not of it. The world and it's system is passing away. Those that pursue the things of the world are not walking according to the will of God. Thus if you seek to pattern your life after the world, you won't be able to discern the will of God. Many believers are patterning their lives after the world and wonder why Gods will seems so mysterious.

2.Let God transform you into new person, by changing the way you think: it's important when discovering the will of God to yield to the Lord instead of the world. The world does not possess the mind of Christ. The worldly mindset is a consistent pursuit of the flesh. This is also a direct obstacle to understanding the will of God.

The blessing of this verse is that if I do yield to the Lord, He begins to change my earthly perspective to a heavenly perspective. He transforms my thinking. Now I can begin to understand His will for me. I am no longer bound to the form of this World, but I am living for something more.

Perhaps a Question to ask ourselves this morning would be "am I following the pattern of This World?" Is my life any different now that I am a Christian?"

To follow the pattern of this world, is to miss the perfect will of God for ones life.